Search This Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Planting Update - Lettuce and Onions

I am still busy planting.  A couple trays are sprouted enough to put outside in the full sun.   I prefer to get them under the sun as soon as possible so they will become hardened at a very young age.  I find that I have sturdier plants that way.   I am lucky enough to be able to do this in Southern California where they days are 70-80 and nights 50-60.  Perfect weather for most seedlings.  As I am taking trays outside, I need to replace it with another tray of seeds, because I only have room for 12 trays in my light stand.

I planted Red Marble Cippolini onion.  They are a small flat red onion that has a mild flavor.   The red color goes deep into the rings. They will be mature in 75 days.

Here's a photo of the harvested onions.



I also planted some head lettuce that will be ready to harvest in 70 days.

The variety is Fall Green MTO
This is supposed to do well in the winter desert conditions and I am in the low desert of southern california.  Hopefully it does well.




No comments:

Post a Comment