Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Planting Ranunculus! Apple Blossom Mix

I planted some ranunculus the other day.  The variety was apple blossom mix which appears to be dark pink, light pink, and white.  Should be a colorful display.   When you receive ranunculus or purchase them at a store, you may think they are dead.   Don't worry, they are not.  Soak them for 3-4 hours in fresh water to plump up the fingers.   They will look like a bunch of bananas after they have soaked up water and re-hydrated.     Plant them in well drained soil, 2 inches deep and 4-6 inches apart.  I planted mine in raised furrows after amending the soil with compost and bone meal.  

Here is a picture of the ranunculus before hydrating and after I soaked them for a hour.  They would have gotten fatter if I would have soaked them longer.    They will continue to plump up after I plant them.   The first picture is what the blossoms will look like.



No comments:

Post a Comment