Search This Blog

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Planting Leucojum aestivum - Summer snowflakes, or Snowbells.

I planted some Leucojum Aestivum.   They are commonly known as summer snowflakes, snow bells, or dewdrop.  The bulbs look somewhat like paperwhite bulbs.    They are planted in the fall and will bloom early spring.   They are planted 2 inches deep and 3 inches apart.   I built raised bed rows to plant them as I water from the pond and bulbs do better when they drain.  If it would have been flat, they would be flooded whenever I water and will rot.  This way the water runs between the furrows and mostly waters the root zone, keeping the bulb drier.   I heavily amended the soil with compost and added some bonemeal so the soil drains better.

Here are some pictures of the bulbs, planted bulbs waiting to be covered up.



No comments:

Post a Comment