Search This Blog

Monday, January 5, 2015

Harvesting Gladiolus Bulbs

I decided to dig up a couple rows of gladiolus bulbs to see how big they grew over the summer.   I started out with small Size 3 bulbs this springs that are 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter.   Bulbs that are jumbo, size 1, 2, or 3, will all bloom, but the size of the flower stalk will increase with the size of the bulb.   Bigger bulbs will also bloom a little earlier.   I was impressed to see that I have a lot of size one bulbs (1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter) and some jumbo sizes (2 inches are larger).   This was my first year  on this farm and the soil was ok - but I will improve it with more compost every year so I should be able to grow some really nice glads.    Here are some pictures of the bulbs as I was digging them up and the container with all the harvested bulbs.  Note all the baby bulbs or cormels attached to the bulbs.  I try to grow them also.     I am not sure of the variety as the tags were all stolen by something.  The scrub jays or squirrels are my main suspects.  I will mix them all up and call them mixed colors and work on more permanent signs to mark my varieties this spring.


No comments:

Post a Comment