Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2014

Planting Dahlia's in June

I planted a couple more dahlia's this morning.   You may wonder why I am planting dahlia's in June.  The simple answer is - because I can!.  I live in Southern California and Dahlias will enjoy the heat of September when most part of the country are counting down the days until their dahlias become a pile of brown stalks from the first frost.   There is also a financial reason!  Most suppliers are winding down their season and I pick up a lot of them at 50-70% off of their regular wholesale prices.   Its a great way to buy my breeding stock at a great discount.   One of the downsides is that its been in the 90's every day this week, so I have to work in some warm weather.   I  will have over 300 dahlia's planted when I am finished and it will be quite a show when they are all blooming.  I planted seduction and bodacious today.

1 comment:

  1. is it too late to start a dahlia from seed in riverside, right now?

    ReplyDelete