Search This Blog

Monday, February 24, 2014

Gladiolus - Started planting my glads today

I planted the violetta variety of gladiolus.  I received 500 bulbs from my supplier and i was only able to plant 475 in my 4 x 8 foot raised bed.   Planting gladiolus bulbs are very easy.   They will grow well in zones 3-10, but will need to be dug up in colder climates where the ground freezes in the winter.    Warmer climates, they will come up every year and reproduce freely to the point where you will need to dig them up and separate.   Plant the bulbs about 6-7 inches deep and 4-5 inches apart.   I planted mine a little closer together because I will dig up in the fall and separate.   I will sell the largest bulbs and keep the smaller baby bulbs or as they are called - cormlets for next years crop.  Plants in a bunch of 10-15 bulbs in a area.   They will support each other but you may need to stake them up as a windy area will wreak havoc on them.    You will be rewarded with a bunch of mid summer flowers.   You can also plant them in rows at staggered times.  Plant the back row first - then 7 - 10 days - plant another row and continue this until your out of room or out of bulbs.  You will have blooms every 7-10 days this summer.   They will appreciate some bone meal mixed in the soil before you plant them.   Full sun is required for sturdy growth and blooms.    The ones I planted were grade 3 - the smallest that should flower but will grow to a larger size this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment